Wednesday, January 13, 2010

My Worst Enemy

Day 10
Grade 12 was probably my peak year for personal fitness. I was eating well, running 5k every week day with my school's cross country team, and rock climbing twice per week. Not to mention playing football on the beach or snowboarding with friends on weekends.

By the time I arrived at residence for my first day of university I had gained a few pounds from too much ice cream and more tanning than running, but I was still in very good shape. During the months that followed I continued to run and make relatively good choices when it came to food.

The only problem was that the cafeteria I ate in was all-you-can-eat style. Turns out I can eat alot. Enjoying my meals with guys twice my size probably didn't help. By Christmas some of my tighter jeans didn't fit and I started to notice the change in my body.

Second semester is where it all went downhill. I became bored with the flavorless food and tried to spice it up, mainly with ranch dressing and bacon. Before I knew it there were only a few pairs of pants in my closet I could still wear.

Don't get me wrong, I was still perfectly happy with the way I looked. Alot of people had teasd me for being too skinny in highschool. But I knew the way I was eating was not healthy for me, and it certainly was not a recipe for a six pack.

Since I started this project, I have been successful in avoiding junk food so I was a little nervous when I returned to the cafeteria yesterday to join my boyfriend for dinner. At first, I was tempted to give myself a free pass and indulge in all the pizza, fried food and ice cream the kitchen could offer. But once I thought about all my hours of hard work in the gym it was easy to resist.

I decided on a whole wheat wrap with tuna and lots of veggies and even had dessert: a piece of toast with honey and some cantaloupe. Take that big bad caf!

10 comments:

  1. nice going Kels, you nailed another one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah for Kelsey!

    ~Anne

    ReplyDelete
  3. KELSEY 1 : Caf 0
    I'd say the Caf is way overmatched in this battle by your awesomeness and will power! Keep going! I BELIEVE!!! xoxo.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just so everyone is aware....When Kelsey mentions indulging in the caf, it is much more than that. Dessert may have consisted of six!! relatively large date squares. SIX!! I was there, could barely believe it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, congrats on resisting the caf! I'd never have been able to turn down the desserts.
    Good luck achieving those abs! <3

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hahaha I wish I could deny the comment about the date squares but it is extremely true. And thanks for the encouragement everyone :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awesome work! I gave up deep fried food this week too! haha although I have done that before, but hopefully it works this time.... Maybe you can write me a story on how to give up copious amounts of peanut butter and jam.... that is my downfall...

    :(

    ReplyDelete
  9. way to go Kelser. Just checking your blog before heading to sleep and it helped me to NOT eat the cookies which have been begging me to finish them off. If you can resist caf food, and I turn deaf ears to cookies!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. you are an inspiration to us all
    im rooting for you!
    and i think i might get a head start on my beach bod too ;)
    your determination is my motivation so keep up the good work!
    -meghan evans

    ReplyDelete